Top 9: Best Cordless Chainsaw Reviews 2019
How Do I Choose The Best Cordless Chainsaw?
With so many cordless chainsaws to choose from, this small and simple task could become a complicated one as you venture out through the department stores or online stores in search of your desired product. No need to worry though for together, we shall figure out the best cordless chainsaw.
When choosing a cordless chainsaw, it’s best to first decide which type of chain saw you’ll buy–gas or electric–based on the kind of sawing you’ll do, how often you’ll do it, and how far from a power outlet you plan to work. And figure on paying at least 75 bucks for an electric saw and 150 bucks or more for a gas model.
What Are Some Advantages/Benefits From Choosing A Cordless Chainsaw?
The obvious reason to buy a cordless chainsaw would be having the luxury of not having to worry about using a long cord that could get tangled up as you try to work around your yard or home. Another great reason to not go for a chainsaw with a cord is getting to choose either a gas-powered chainsaw or a battery powered chainsaw.
Both are very good and will save you time and money on your next electric bill. So the next question to ask yourself is which one should I get – gas-powered or electric-powered? Gas powered chainsaws tend to cut more quickly and smoothly than electrics, and their faster chain speeds need less pressure.
Chain-bar lengths are typically 16 to 18 inches for homeowner saws, longer for pro models. If you don’t mind having a slightly heavier chainsaw to manage, then going gas-powered could be the option for you.
Electric chainsaws are lighter and cost less and only need a quick plug-in and take around 2-4 hours to fully charge.
Related: Jigsaw vs Reciprocating Saw
Things To Look For That Differentiate The Many Different Types Of Cordless Chainsaws
By this point, you have a general idea on why cordless saw is the way to go. I know you’re eager to find out which ones are the best of best but before we do that, we first need to figure out what things make each brand of cordless chainsaw different from the next one.
Some things to look out for when buying one of these products is reduced-kickback chain, reduced-kickback bar arrow, chain brake arrow, bar-tip guard arrow, chain catcher arrow, trigger lockout arrow, shielded muffler arrow, case or sheath arrow, wraparound front handle arrow, automatic chain oiler arrow, bucking spikes arrow, tool-free chain adjuster arrow, visible bar-oil level arrow and anti-vibration arrow.
If you want a more in-depth definition and summary of what these things are then check out this chainsaw buying guide article.
The big controversy of going for a cordless chainsaw is the amount of money you will be putting in to get either a gas-powered or electric. With a corded chainsaw, you don’t have to worry about gas or batteries and all you really need to do is plug it in and get right to work.
If you would rather not put more money into your desired chainsaw then a corded chainsaw might be the better option for you; however, you are limited in where you can work and how much woodwork you can get done if you decided to go this route.
Cordless chainsaws may need you to put a little more money into your brand new chainsaw but with the ability to go anywhere and everywhere, a cordless chainsaw will clear your mind and allow you to not worry so much about the little things and move on.
Now that I’ve given some valuable information on why cordless might be the better choice for you, let us take a look at the Top Rated Chainsaws
Related Saw Post:
Top 9 of The Best Cordless Chainsaw Reviews
- This is a 14-inch saw.
- It comes with a choice of three batteries (1.4, 2.4, or 4.0 Ah amp-hours).
- It weighs between 11 and 12 pounds depending on which battery you choose.
- Automatic lubrication system
- Built-in chain sharpener
- Reviewers at Amazon.com say it’s still powerful enough to go through trees up to 12 inches in diameter.
- Reviewers have also stated that this cordless chainsaw is quiet and lightweight to boot.
- Top speed is only 2,350 rpm.
- Doesn’t cut very fast.
- Saw’s automatic tensioner doesn’t offer tool-free adjustments.
- Must replace the chain and sharpener as a unit.
2. Worx WG303.1 16-Inch Chain Saw, 3.5 HP 14.5 Amp
- Light, well-balanced and surprisingly powerful.
- Auto chain tensioning.
- Auto chain oiling.
- Low-kickback chain.
- Sensitive chain break.
- You have to haul an extension cord around with you.
- You will have to stay within reach of an electrical outlet.
3. Husqvarna 450 18-Inch 50.2cc X-Torq 2-Cycle Gas Powered Chain Saw With Smart Start (CARB Compliant)
- Powerful 18-inch gas-powered chain saw ideal for landowners and others who cut less regularly.
- 3.2 HP X-Torq engine reduces harmful exhaust emissions and increase fuel efficiency
- LowVib vibration dampening; minimal effort via Smart Start feature and joined – choke/stop control.
- Centrifugal air cleaning system; inertia activated chain brake; snap-lock cylinder cover.
- It is CARB Compliant
- May need extra maintenance
- Does not do well when cutting down too much green outside.
- Users have stated that is has a bad brake design.
4. Remington RM1425 Limb N Trim 8 Amp 14- Inch Electric Chainsaw
- It is compact, lightweight design is easy to use for all your small limb trimming needs.
- 14-inch low-kickback bar and chain with 8-amp electric motor for powerful trimming.
- Push-button oiler lets you add just the right amount of oil to your engine
- The product comes with an external chain tension adjuster makes tensioning easy for trimming
- When buying the item online or in store- it comes fully assembled for a smooth start to your operation.
- Among users who bought this product, many reported the chain falling off in the beginning of using the chainsaw.
- The plastic holding the bar tightening bolt was reported to be poor and not so strong according to users.
- If you do not keep up with the maintenance, the oil will be leaking continuously.
5. Dewalt DCCS690M1 40V 4AH Lithium Ion XR Brushless Chainsaw, 16″
- Delivers the cutting power and performance of a gas unit with the convenience of a cordless, battery-operated unit that can make up to 70 cuts per charge.
- Includes 4.0Ah Lithium-ion battery for long run time.
- Compatible with other DEWALT 40 Volt Max tools and chargers (sold separately).
- Built-in chain brake for added safety.
- Users who purchased this item experienced the oiler no longer working properly after a certain amount of time – 2 to 3 hours to be exact.
6. Greenworks 20312 DigiPro G-MAX 40V Li-Ion 16-Inch Cordless Chainsaw, (1) 4AH Battery and a Charger Inc.
- Premium Power of DigiPro brushless motor technology cuts up to 100 cuts on a single charge. Includes 4AH Battery and Charger
- Compatible with GreenWorks G-MAX 40V Li-Ion System offering a range of tools to choose from
- Brushless motor delivers up to 30% more torque for the greatest cutting performance
- Brushless motor design offers up to 70% less vibration for user comfort while working
- Chain brake and low kickback chain for increased user safety
- According to multiple users, when trying to contact customer support, the service you get is terrible and you’re on the phone for long periods of time.
- Other users have reported poor packaging which results in the chainsaw getting delivered broken or becomes broken after you use the product.
7. Black & Decker LCS1020 20V Max Lithium Ion Chainsaw, 10-Inch
- 10″ OREGON low-kickback bar and chain for smooth and fast cuts.
- Oiling system for lubrication of bar and chain.
- 10″ cut capacity for a range of cuts.
- Tool-less chain tensioning for fast and easy adjustments.
- Users have reported a bad starter.
- It takes forever to get the chain nice and oiled up for usage.
8. Makita XCU02Z 18V X2 LXT Lithium-Ion (36V) Cordless Chain Saw (Bare Tool Only)
- Makita-built motor delivers 1,650 FPM for increased cutting speed.
- Two 18V LXT Lithium-Ion batteries deliver the power and run time for corded demands without leaving the 18V LXT platform.
- Lower noise level at only 89 dB(A) for improved user comfort. 12″ Guide Bar for increased capacity.
- “Tool-less” chain adjustments for convenient operation and maintenance.
- Users seem to have problems with the chain loosening up and having to readjust the chain multiple times.
- Users have also mentioned that the batteries that come with this model tend to work for only a small amount of time causing the buyers to go out and order new batteries.
9. Greenworks GCS80420 80V 18-Inch Cordless Chainsaw includes 2.0AH Li-Ion Battery and Charger
- GreenWorks 2.0AH Li-Ion battery-powered chainsaw and charger is ENERGY STAR-Qualified.
- Built-in fan for quick charge time, 30 minutes for 2Ah battery.
- Users have reported and easy mountable design.
- A lot of users have reported the battery charger not functioning after using the chainsaw for an extended period.
After reviewing these fine products and checking them out via expert and user reviews other useful webpages, the big lingering question remains, which chainsaw should you go for?
For me, the ones that caught my attention were number 1, OREGON CORDLESS 40 Volt MAX CS250-A6 Saw Kit with 4.0 Ah Battery pack, and number 5, DEWALT DCCS690M1 40V 4AH Lithium Ion XR Brushless Chainsaw, 16″.
Both of these products showed the highest ratings from consumers from multiple websites. They both meet the general requirements when it comes to looking for the right attributes in cordless chainsaws including automatic chain oiler arrow, bucking spikes arrow, tool-free chain adjuster arrow, visible bar-oil level arrow and anti-vibration arrow.
The Winner Is…
Why did I make this decision you ask? Aside from what I have listed in the PROS section of this product, DEWALT is a leading worldwide brand of power tools and hand tools for the construction, manufacturing and woodworking industries.
They’ve been around for nearly 100 years. The DEWALT chainsaw that I chose as the winner was based on what I stated earlier in the article (under the section where I talk about what to look for when buying a cordless chainsaw).
This chainsaw might be the perfect chainsaw for all DIY projects because it offers more than the other products we reviewed.
Related Saw Post:
Compared to the OREGON, the DEWALT is a bigger blade that will last nearly twice as long as the OREGON or the Husqvarna. With features such as auto-oiling, chain brake and a variable speed trigger, DEWALT makes it difficult to choose any other brand of cordless chainsaw.
The WORX may be light and easy to handle, but the DEWALT delivers a more powerful saw use. The DEWALT built-in chain brake has protection that the Remington won’t offer.
Both GREENWORKS saws seemed to have had the same problem which resulted in those two being cut out of the running.
The Black and Decker was taken out because of the many issues wrong with it. The Makita had a high-speed that nearly took my number 5 out of the winning spot but after researching and reading about it’s users having a ton of issues with the chain, I couldn’t choose this saw.
Tips To Remember When Buying A Cordless Chainsaw
When going out and buying your chainsaw, the most important attributes to consider are guide bar length, power type (gas or electric), engine power (cc, Volts, or Amps), safety features, and your fitness/strength level.
Related: Best Cordless Jigsaw Reviews
Things To Avoid When Buying A Cordless Chainsaw
Do not be one of those people who reads one review of one product and then goes out and buys it without doing your homework first. Research the best you can and refer back to this article as much as possible when needed. If you’re shopping online for one of these products, it’s best to careful read all the specifications and reviews before buying.
The best way for you to decide which chainsaw you’re going to go with is to go in person and check out the saw yourself and actually get a feel for it, especially if this is your first saw.
The DEWALT DCCS690M1 40V 4AH Lithium Ion XR Brushless Chainsaw, 16″ could be your brand new chainsaw. With a long battery life, fast speeds and amazing safety features, this cordless chainsaw will possibly make your work life or home DIY projects a smooth and simple process.
Remember to research the best cordless chainsaw review before choosing your new saw and always ask questions about how to use it, unique features or specifications that you’re not sure about. Good luck and may the best cordless chainsaw 2017 win.